9, 2023: A Call to Arms!
Entrance to Battlefield Park at Resaca Threatened.
We have 30 days to rally support and respond with our concerns.
Please respond to the address below by April 5 (the cut-off date).
The viewshed of the entrance to the Resaca Battlefield Park Historic Site is under threat. According to a letter we have recieved addressed to Georgia Battlefields and kindly forwarded to us by long-time friend Charlie Crawford, a 305-foot cell tower is under consideration for property in the Historic Resaca Area that will negatively impact the viewshed of everyone entering the park. The tower will be located east of the park on I-75 at a point across from the entry way into the park before visitors reach the point known as Cheatham Hill. This will be an isolated edifice and have a profound and negative effect on the pristine nature of the visitor experience.
Find out more about the cell tower threat in this document [a PDF file] from the Environmental Corporation of America.
Please help spread the word and direct all comments (as instructed in the document link) to Annamarie Howell, Environmental Corporation of America, 1375 Union Hill Industrial Court, Suite A, Alpharetta, Georgia 30004, 770-667-2040 x 405 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We suggest as many people as possible call the number provided and send an email. The more input we give, the more our important and correct position will impact these proceedings.
For your reference, the Friends of Resaca sent the following email today:
To the Environmental Corporation of America:
I am writing to express my strong opposition to the proposed construction of a 305-foot self-supporting lattice telecommunications structure by Dominion Tower Group at 300 DeFoor Drive, Resaca, Gordon County, Georgia. As part of this community and a frequent visitor to the Resaca Battlefield Historic Site, I am deeply concerned about the negative impact that this structure would have on the historic landscape.
The proposed location of this telecommunications structure is in close proximity to the entrance way of the Resaca Battlefield Historic Site, and its towering height will severely impact the viewshed of this important historical site. The Resaca Battlefield Historic Site is a significant and revered location, and its value lies not only in its historical significance but also in its aesthetic and cultural importance to our community.
I understand that you are required to seek comments regarding the effect of the proposed action on historic properties in our community in accordance with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulation at 47 C.F.R. 1.1307(a)(4). I would like to request that you carefully consider the negative impact that this structure will have on the Resaca Battlefield Historic Site and its surroundings.
The Resaca Battlefield Historic Site is a vital part of our community's heritage, and it is important that we protect and preserve it for future generations. I urge you to reconsider the location of this proposed telecommunications structure and to find an alternative location that does not negatively impact the viewshed of this important historical site.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Keith Beason, Vice-President
Friends of Resaca Battlefield, Inc.
If you would like to write a letter or email of support in regard to the email of concern, here are some points that you may want to consider including:
1. Express your agreement with the concerns raised in the email of concern, particularly in regards to the negative impact that the proposed telecommunications structure would have on the viewshed of the Resaca Battlefield Historic Site.
2. Highlight the importance of preserving historical sites and landmarks for future generations, and the potential negative consequences of not doing so.
3. Emphasize the value of cultural and aesthetic considerations in addition to historical significance when it comes to protecting landmarks and heritage sites.
4. Encourage Dominion Tower Group and other stakeholders to consider alternative locations for the telecommunications structure that would not negatively impact the Resaca Battlefield Historic Site or other important cultural or historical landmarks.
5. Offer your support for any efforts to protect and preserve the Resaca Battlefield Historic Site and other important landmarks in your community.
Remember to be clear, respectful, and concise in your communication, and to offer any supporting evidence or documentation that may be relevant to your position.
Thank you for your continued support of the Resaca Battlefield!